Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Vocabulary and Writing for tests

No student likes taking tests. However the textbook brings up some very interesting ideas that made me think more about them. For example, I never really realized how students write their responses to teachers, but now that I have read that, it is definitely true. Just last semester I had to "write a letter to a congressman" and I definitely doctored my letter so that my professor would approve. I like the idea of doing oral presentations in order to combat this limitation. I think that would be a good alternative assessment. I think the way tests are designed are very important. I agree with the authors of the textbook who say we should focus more on the big ideas that should stay with students for a long time. I think this is very applicable for history class especially. I always appreciated when teachers did not expect you to list dates, but wanted to see that you get a big concept as a cause and what the various effects of that particular event were. I'm not sure I am completely sold on the idea of take-home tests. I always saw those as a gift from God as a student, because I knew I could get my mom or dad to help me if I was in dire need of it. It is important to keep in mind that take home tests may incorporate some knowledge that is not unique to the student, so personally I would prefer to make a test shorter, but allow more class time to complete it.
Many of the graphic organizers that are given in chapter 8 can be very useful. I think not only useful for definitions of words, but definitions or explanations of events as well. From a history stand point I could easily use something like a CD word map for students to show me what events like Watergate or the Battle of Gettysburg are. I think these graphic organizers can also be helpful in a history classroom if students are reading some kind of primary source text where the vocabulary is a little strange because it is an old text. These tools can be a way for students to learn what they mean on their own so that they can get a better understanding of the meaning of the word itself as well as the context it is being used in.

No comments:

Post a Comment